Sunday, April 26, 2009

Material World 2009

Each year, I attend a convention for designers, Material World.  They exhibit new technologies, fabric and trimming wholesalers, seminars and any thing else you need to make a garment.  I have been going to this convention for over 3 years now.  I even made a special trip to the one in NYC a few years ago.  As a designer, the hardest part is sourcing and knowing the quality of the products you want to use.  Here you can see and feel for yourself and build relationships with the distributors.   I bumped into old classmates and teachers from the Miami University of Art & Design.  I registered for  a few seminars on new trends, color stories, and was able to hear from local designers on their experience in the industry.  

Non the less, I found everything I need !  There are usually ridiculous minimum yardage or quantities for orders.  Since the economy is the way that it is, distributors are lowering the minimums and really working with the designers.  I have sourced my own fabrics for my collection that will be out this summer, but anticipating the next collection.  One of the exhibitors I met was a family owned business from Canada.  They wholesale elastics and custom tags, pretty much my one stop shop.  Ironically, her and her family were staying in a hotel just behind my apartment in Coconut Grove.  She is a bride to be and gave her the 411 for shopping and directed her to the fabulous Miracle Mile, aka  Bridezilla Alley.  I am really looking forward to working with her and adding special details to Priscilla Jade Lingerie.


No comments:

Post a Comment